BonWorth is America’s favorite mother-daughter store. Their “BeBonWorthBeautiful” slogan reflects their fantastic morals and ethics, as well as their fantastic products and prices. One of the things that makes the store so unique is that they focus not just solely on the female customer, but also on the female employee. While their current COO, Gurumoorthy Gurusankar, is male, he has placed a strong focus on ensuring a large percentage of the workforce is female. This has attracted a variety of positive five star reviews from employees and customers alike.
Clearly, BonWorth is not just about the sales, savings, and promotional actions. They are about being part of their North Carolina community, empowering women to become better versions of themselves, both personally and professionally. Indeed, Henderson, NC has improved as a whole as a community thanks to this important work. Here, the company reveals the top reasons why it matters to have women in business.
BonWorth on Why We Need More Women in Business
Gurumoorthy Gurusankar is happy to see that there have been significant improvements in the number of women-held positions across the board, but he believes the overall percentage (7% in private tech, for instance), is still much too low. Gender diversity is something that should be promoted. Indeed, he believes there should be far more women in leadership in particular, because:
- Women are better at problem solving. It has been scientifically proven that when there is an increase in diversity of genders, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, everybody works better. This is about collaboration and diversity of thought. In studies, almost all businesses said that the area in which they fail in terms of diversification is increasing the female workforce.
- Women are trusted. American workers in particular believe that female leaders are more ethical and honest, precisely what the BonWorth brand stands for. In fact, in a study, 34% of people say women make better executives than men. Only 3% felt men were better, with the other 64% saying gender didn’t make a difference.
- Women are better at working together. Women have been shown to be better at reaching political deals, working together, and working with those of opposing views. This is a fantastic skill that can be utilized across all businesses and organizations.
- Women are amazing mentors. This is one of the reasons why BonWorth is so promotional of women, because they hope this will inspire others to become better versions of themselves. When women do something new, others will follow.
- Women, and particularly female Millennials, have a higher education than men on average. This means they simply have better knowledge as well and, at the end of the day, that is what matters when it comes to running a business.
At BonWorth, a huge percentage of employees, from shop floor to sales to executive leadership, are female. They have set an example of Henderson, NC, something that has had a positive impact to the state of North Carolina as a whole. And, as is clearly visible from the many five star reviews that both the company as a merchant and as an employer has received, this is something that is greatly appreciated.