Looking good when you’re a big guy has its challenges. There are a few big & tall men’s clothing stores that specialize in larger sizes of clothes for men. After that, you may need to have your clothes tailored to fit you properly. The truth of the matter is, it’s extremely difficult to look prim and proper all the time.
But it can be done, and it doesn’t even have to be overly complicated. In fact, you won’t have to spend too much money to look stylish as a big guy either. You can just improve your wardrobe simply by replacing one thing with another. These swaps may provide a slight improvement, but when you take all these tips to heart you can end up looking considerably more stylish.
- Try tailored shirts untucked. Check out guayabera, which is a Latin American shirt that’s actually meant to be worn untucked. It’s a great look because it keeps the attention away from your waistline.
For this look, you don’t need ducktail shirts, which are longer in the front and back. You instead need a shirt with a round and even hem, like a polo shirt. You can try light sweaters too. All these can look good, provided the fit is good.
- Stick to proportionally large accessories. So you will want a large watch face diameter for your wristwatch to match the size of your wrists. If you use pens, switch from a flimsy ballpoint for a heftier fountain pen. Wider ties are also good. The idea here is simple. Smaller accessories can just emphasize how big you are.
- See if a hat works for you.The nice thing about hats (which doesn’t include ball caps) is that it somehow makes what you’re wearing into a more stylish outfit. It adds more height, so your weight looks distributed more evenly.
- Go with spread collars for your dress shirts.This means the separation of the collar points is greater than 90 degrees, though some shirts are a lot more spread than others. The spread keeps the size of your face looking more proportional to your body and your outfit.
Also, the spread gives you more room for a large necktie knot for a wide tie. Again, it’s all about keeping everything proportional. If you try using a thin tie with a small knot for your large frame, the resulting look may not be flattering.
- Use suspenders instead of belts. Lots of large guys don’t like or are uncomfortable wearing belts. A great alternative is a pair of suspenders. Suspenders ensure your pants stay up all the time, while making a bold fashion statement.
- Final Advice
What you need to remember are a few simple principles. The fit of your clothes are the most important factor so that the clothes rest nicely and lightly on your frame. You should stick to simple colors instead of dramatic patterns and graphics, since your size may already command attention. You also should go with lightweight clothes to make yourself feel more comfortable while you prevent looking even bulkier.
It is possible to look stylish even with a large frame. Heed our advice, and you’ll see it for yourself.