The largest city of Sri Lanka, Colombo is well known for its cinnamon produce the most, especially since it provides with almost 80 to 90 percent of the world’s supply of C. verum cinnamon A. As comes with trade, Colombo was a well-known port and valued by Persians, Arabs, Greeks, Chinese traders and Indians for more than 20 centuries. The city has been a witness to many sieges and wars- beginning from the Moors to the Portuguese, Dutch and British, all for control of its precious spice productions. The British actually began constructing houses and other structures which forms the basis for the current city of Colombo.
Reaching this city is easy through the air, as the Bandaranaike Airport hosts both domestic and international airlines. So you can easily book Dubai to Colombo flights, San Francisco to Colombo flights, London to Colombo flights and more so from similar distance places.
Now that you are here, let’s find out some interesting activities for you around the city:
- Experience Colombo’s Nightlife: Probably not as well known, but Colombo has a pulsing and vibrant nightlife which is full of bustling casinos, delectable food, and amazing live music. The best part is that gambling is legal here so you can definitely try a hand at roulette or a table game.
- Enjoy authentic Sri Lankan Food: Sri Lanka is a world which is full of spices and flavors just waiting for you. Coming on from long flights, you will get hungry and what best than to start off by tasting authentic Sri Lankan cuisine. Make sure you don’t miss out on the Dhal Curry, Vegetarian Kottu, and Sri Lankan fish curry among others.
- Take a break at Viharamahadevi Park: Widely considered to be one of the best spots to spend time with friends and family, you can enjoy loads of things here which include picnicking, walking trails, enjoying waterfall and rides. But if you don’t want to spend time outdoors, there is a library inside as well.
- Swan boat ride in Colombo: Located in the heart of the city, Beira Lake is a tranquil location where you can go boating in a swan boat. Cruising through the sparkling waters and then afterward paying a visit to the nearby Seema Malaka temple will be well worth your time.
- Tour of Gangaramaya Temple: While many do consider visiting temples pretty bland, this temple is the showcase of brilliant architectural brilliance and reflects a fascinating fusion of Chinese, Indian and Thai designs.
- The Tuk-Tuk Ride: Colombo is a fun place to explore but the fun gets doubled when you climb into its local transport system- tuk-tuks, which are auto rickshaws. Colorful and vibrant, this is the most convenient way to get around the city.
Colombo is a beautiful city which houses architectural brilliance that is a fusion of various cultures which had made this land their home. The food, the hospitality, and the culture come together to form an unforgettable city.